PE and Sports Premium
What is the Sports Premium?
The Primary PE and Sport Premium is a government-backed funding initiative aimed at helping primary schools across England improve their physical education and sport provisions.
The premium is designed to help children get an active start in life, supporting primary schools to improve the quality of their PE, physical activity/literacy, and sport provision so that pupils experience the benefits of regular exercise. This results in pupils becoming healthier both mentally and physically, to improve behaviour and academic achievement
What are the objectives of the premium?
The Primary PE and Sport Premium is ring-fenced and must only be spent on physical education and sport provision in schools.
The funding aims to achieve improvement in all areas of PE, from the standard of physical education to introducing health focused physical activities and after school sports. The key objectives of the premium are:
- Engage pupils in regular physical and healthy activity
- Raise the profile of PE and sport across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
- Increase confidence, knowledge, and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Create a broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to pupils
- Increase participation in competitive sports
How do we use the funding?
Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of the physical education, physical activity and sport they provide.
Focussing on improving physical education and pupil engagement in sport, the premium can be used to:
- Develop or add to the physical education activities, and sports that your school provides
- Ensure the funding will benefit pupils joining the school in future years by building capacity and capability within the school
- Invest in new and updated equipment
- Provide staff with professional development, appropriate training, and resources to help teach PE and sport more effectively. Introduce coaching and new sports to make PE more enjoyable.
- Run and maintain after school sports clubs
- Introduce physical activity throughout the school day
Please read the information below which gives details of our PE and Sport Premium Grant and how we allocate the funding at Castle View.
At Castle View, all children benefit, regardless of sporting ability; we believe that all children are given the opportunity to compete in tournaments; that staff have access to training opportunities and continued professional development and that resourcing needs of sport and P.E. are best met.
For the 2023-24 year, we have been looking ahead to ensuring our school has long lasting resources available to teachers to teach high quality, varied P.E. as well as providing resources to provide the children with outdoor opportunities for physical activity.
Here at Castle View, we firmly believe that a healthy, active child is a happy child that is ready to learn. Staff CPD will be a key priority for Sports Premium expenditure to ensure long lasting expertise amongst our staff members, who are our most valuable resource.
Below are the main targets across school for P.E. and Sport for 2023-24 from the P.E. subject action plan which informed the Sports Premium expenditure for 2023-24:
- Provide C.P.D. opportunities to enrich the curriculum content, improve staff confidence and positively impact pupil progress in P.E. and sport.
- Provide opportunities for children to improve their wellbeing and be taught strategies to improve wellbeing through P.E. and playground activities.
- Continue to develop assessment and evidencing in P.E. across school using the Lancashire P.E. Passport.
- Develop the engagement of children and variety of activities taught in P.E. and the wider curriculum.
2023-2024 Evidencing the Impact of the Primary PE and Sport Premium under review
2022-2023 Evidencing the Impact of the Primary PE and Sport Premium